As a long established firm of UK independent funeral directors, we feel it is our responsibility to provide a very high standard of service and a quality product as well as safe and ethical business practices.
Our origins date back to 1853 when Edwin Box started a small haulage business in Cross Street, Batley. Some years later he moved across the road to Wellington Street where, as the owner of horses, he was able to acquire a horse hearse and diversify into carriage mastering, providing hearse and cabs for funerals.
Edwin's son George had three sons who continued to expand the independent funeral directors business but, due to the demise of the horse hearse in 1932, motor garages were established in Dewsbury, Batley and Ossett under the title 'George Box Ltd.'
The premises of Edwin Box, at Batley Carr were acquired and the business moved from Batley to Dewsbury. The 1970's saw significant changes in the funeral profession and the firm expanded into funeral directing.
In the 1990's Richard Box's sons, Andrew and Edward - the sixth generation of the family - joined the firm to take it into the next millennium. In 1998 the current purpose designed bereavement home on Bradford road opened.
In 2003 to celebrate 150 years of being in business, we opened our first branch office in Ossett.
Click here to contact E. F. Box Independent Funeral Directors